If you are eager to start your own garden, like most new gardeners, you may be overwhelmed with all the choices available to you and have a nagging suspicion that you may not have a green thumb. How do you create a new garden you’ll love? Well, it’s easy! You want to choose plants for your garden that grow quickly and are easy to tend. Below is a list of 10 recommended plants for new gardeners to grow.
- Radishes. Radishes survive and thrive in ordinary soil and are ready to be consumed in just a few weeks. Plant radish seeds in the spring and fall.
- Salad greens. This includes lettuce, spinach, arugula and radicchio. You can choose one or several for planting at the same time. Plant the seeds in spring and fall.
- Green beans. Green beans are easy to grow and freeze well also. Plant seeds after frost and enjoy all summer and early fall.
- Onions. Onions are easiest to grow when you have small plants. Harvest bulb onions. You can also eat onion greens.
- Strawberries. Strawberries grow well in the spring in the sun. You’ll be surprised by how sweet homegrown berries can be!
- Peppers. Add some zest to your meal with a hot or sweet pepper. It is easiest when you start plants indoors and transfer them to the outdoor garden. Choose a variety of peppers for flavor and color.
- Bush zucchini. Start from seed or transplants to grow this fast-growing squash.
- Tomatoes. It’s hard to beat the taste of a ripe, sweet tomato you have grown yourself. Tomato seeds are best started indoors about six weeks before the last frost date.
- Basil. Basil, one of the tastiest herbs, is also one of the easiest to grow. Basil goes great with tomatoes and can be grown from seed or transplants very quickly.
- Potatoes. Grow either from seeds or cut sections in the spring. This staple stores well in cooler conditions. Enjoy potatoes you have grown up to six months later!
Protect Your Garden with GutterShutter
A poorly functioning gutter system that results in overflowing water can quickly lead to soil and landscape erosion. Soil erosion wreaks havoc on gardens and lawns. One of the most important things you can do to safeguard your home, lawn and garden is to install gutter guard systems, and the #1 gutter guard available today is GutterShutter. GutterShutter’s patented design is in use all over the United States, safeguarding homes from water damage and also eliminating what can be a dangerous task: cleaning out gutters.
All GutterShutter systems are installed by qualified, trained and certified GutterShutter technicians. Call us at 513-671-4000 to learn more about our gutter protection service.